Municipal Center for History possesses today a rich archive
that consists of the Volos Municipality archive (1883-1982),
46 private archives concerning directly or indirectly the
city and its greater area, archives of old industrial enterprises,
as well as important material of building plans, maps, aerial
photos, transparencies and photos.
library of Volos's Municipal Center for History and Documentation
started operating in 1992, its aim being the collection,
administration, utilization and promotion of any kind or
form of printed documents.
The contents of the volume were organised in two uneven parts defined by the historical Image
of the city.
The first one refers to the years preceding the annexation of the city to the Greek State
(1881). The Castle of Volos, the seat of the Turkish administration, the settlement named "Palla"
(Old) In the years of the Turkish Occupation is considered by Kostas Liapis to be the stage of
important historical events. In addition, Giorgos Thomas emphasises the revolutionary
movements In Volos and Mt. Pellon. The foundation and development of the new city of Volos In
the 19th century constitutes the first contribution by Vllma Hastaoglou, defining the place and
human activity in the first phase of the creation of the city.
The second part of the volume, clearly more extensive and multi-thematic, refers to the period of the history of Volos from the annexation of the city to the Greek State (1881) to the earthquakes (1955). It Is the period of the definitive shaping and evolution of Volos Into an urban centre. This part Is divided into seven separate units. The first unit addresses the urban planning evolution of Volos In the period (1881-1940), written by Vilma Hastaoglou. Similarly, - In the second unit - Dimitris Paliouras deals with architectural aspects of Volos. The title of the third unit is 'Main Infrastructure Projects' where Christos Fotou writes about Thessallan Railways, Vllma Hastaoglou about Port Projects (1881-1950), Anastassla Kollou about the city water supply and sewage system and Panaglota Kalogrl about electrification and, particularly, the Electricity Power Company of Volos (1911-1957). The fourth unit consists of aspects from the social history of the city. In particular, Llto Apostolakou deals with the labour movement In Volos In the first half of the 20th century, whereas Anastassla Kontaxl writes about the settlement and integration of refugees from Asia Minor. The unit is supplemented with the theme of religious communities of Volos. Dlmltrls Tslllvidis writes about the Orthodox Christian Church, Markos Roussos-Milldonis about the Catholic Community, and Raphael Frezls about the Israelite Community. The following - fifth - unit deals with aspects of culture and art cultivated In Volos. The first Theatre Venues' is the title of the article by Elenl Fessa-Emmanouel. Chryssa Drantakl writes about painting In Volos In the 20th century. Kostas Drygiannakls Is Interested In the musical culture of Volos In the first years of the 20th century, Yannls Mougoyannls writes about the Achievements of the Civilization of Volos' atld Yorgos Panayotou about the 'Press and Publishing Activity in Volos'. The penultimate unit refers to the history of education of Volos. Haralambos Harltos writes about the 'Flourishing of the Institution of Education in the Region of Volos' and Angellkl Skorda writes about 'Schooling Assistance and Welfare In the Region of Volos In the pre-war period'. Finally, the economic life of the city in the main period of its history is recorded in the article by Vagells Prontzas under the characteristic title 'Ups and Downs of Commerce and Banking".
All those who have contributed to this publication believe they are making a contribution to both the Greek and English speaking public, since this volume has been translated from the Greek original; It Is a work of local self-knowledge, a result of hard work and documentation, esthetic sensitivity and optimism for the future of Its younger readers.
Haralambos G. Haritos Professor of History,
Modern Greek Education and Local History, University of Thessaly